Clubs & Activities
The Walnut Grove Student Garden is open to all students during their lunch recess every Tuesday. Students are invited to help in the garden by weeding, watering, planting, harvesting, and tasting. We always appreciate help from other parents to direct and help the children. If your child comes to the garden regularly, please consider helping out a couple times this year. No garden experience is required, and we do not expect a weekly commitment! For more information, please contact Candee Banman and Kim McCoy.
The Walnut Grove Run Club is open to all students K-5. We meet every Friday morning at 7:30 a.m. on the blacktop by the Garden for some stretching, running, music, friends, and charms. Grown-ups are welcome to drop-off, stick around and participate, or volunteer to help. Attend when you are available, no weekly commitment required!
Friday Morning Schedule
- Warm-up Stretches: 7:30 a.m.
- Run/walk Laps & Music: 7:35-7:55 a.m.
- Lap Tally, Charm Awards: 7:55-8:05 a.m.
- We need a Run Club Permission slip on file for all runners (new and returning). You do not need a new permission slip for each week, just one one for the school year.
- Remember to bring your Run Club necklace every week! New members will get a necklace on their first day.
- The Run Club “track” is 1/7 mile. Charms are awarded for the first mile (seven laps), and each multiple of five miles thereafter. Runners (and walkers) usually complete between five and 15 laps per week. Celebrations are held for major milestones (100 cumulative miles, special occasions, etc.) because who doesn't love donut holes?!
- Run Club takes place whenever the weather allows (including in hot, chilly, and drizzly conditions). The organizers will make every effort to notify participants at least an hour beforehand (by 6:30 a.m. on Thursday), and sometimes the night before, if we need to cancel on account of significant rain, poor air quality, extreme temperatures, etc.
- Please have the kids wear running-appropriate clothes and closed-toed shoes.
For more information, please contact:
Brooke McClimans (firstname.lastname@example.org)